Dublin, Ireland - An American Airlines flight diverted to Ireland after a cleaning fluid spill caused two crew members to fall temporarily unconscious and passengers to have burning eyes and itchy skin.
American Airlines Flight AA729 was en route from London Heathrow to Philadelphia over southwest Ireland when it was forced to divert to Dublin International Airport. American's Airbus A330 jet safely landed at 1:15 p.m. local time.
Medical staff met the crew members and passengers in the aircraft to determine if any emergency medical assistance needed. Two crew members who fell unconscious and one passenger were taken to the hospital for further examination.
There were 287 passengers and 12 crew members on board. One of the pilots said that the product was believed to be non-toxic.
"We’ve actually covered the container of the substance. It was a cleaning product that was used at London Heathrow. It was spilled and for some reason, the container itself was left behind in the aircraft in one of the lavatories and continued to seep into the carpeting and produce what I’m told is not, it is not a toxic substance," he said.
The Daily Telegraph reported that the spilled cleaning product is an aircraft interior cleaner produced by Callington, a chemical manufacturer specialized in aircraft cleaners.